Forum Thread: How to Get Rid of Little Black Ants in Your Bathroom

Do you need some help with getting rid of little black ants in your bathroom? There are many different species of ants that could be invading this sacred area. Pharaoh ants are the most common type found in bathrooms. Little black Argentine and odorous house ants can also come in from the outside and make a nest in your walls. It is usually helpful to know which species you are dealing with to formulate the proper extermination strategy. However, unless you have an entomologist on speed dial, this can be very difficult. Using toxic insecticides on an unidentified species could actually make the problem worse. There is no need to use these dangerous chemicals in your house anyway. That is why I am going to show you how to get rid of ants naturally.

Step 1: Find Out Why Ants Are Attracted to Your Bathroom

Knowing why these tiny black pests are attracted to your bathroom in the first place will help you to get rid of them. Basically it boils down to food, odors and moisture. Stagnate water and fermented human hair from your drains will attract many types of insects. A readily available supply of water will also bring ants into your home. If you can determine the source of the problem, getting rid of small black ants in your bathroom will be much easier. Spend some time observing their behavior. Where are they coming into the bathroom? Where are they going once they are inside? Use this information to eliminate entry ways and the sources of attraction.

• Eliminate freestanding water.
  • Use caulk to seal any cracks or crevices where they may be entering your bathroom from the walls.
  • Also seal any outside areas where they are initially entering your house.

Step 2: How to Eliminate the Ants That Are Already Inside

Next, you'll need to kill and repel the remaining colony. We want to send them a strong message to find a new place to live. Rather than using dangerous insecticides, I have found that essential oils are just as effective for getting rid of small black ants in your bathroom. There are a dozen essential oils that will get the job done, but I find a mixture of peppermint and tea tree oil to be the most powerful solution. Plus they will make your bathroom smell great!

• Just add 15-20 drops of tea tree oil, 15-20 drops of peppermint oil to a little spray bottle filled with water.
  • If you are dealing with a severe ant infestation, add a half teaspoon of cayenne pepper spice.
  • Spray the ants, their trails and any other troublesome areas with this solution. You can also soak a cotton ball and stuff it into openings in your walls to provide long term protection.

This natural solution will safely kill small black ants in your bathroom on contact. It will also eliminate their scent trails and deter them from entering the area. Keep this spray hand to use in other areas of your house during the summer. You can also use it outside to keep insects away from your home altogether. Watch this quick video for more information about using essential oils for this pest control project.

Step 3: Alternative Pest Control Measures

If you don't have small pets or children then you may want to bait the ants before repelling them. Different species of ants are attracted to different types of food. I recommend making 3 different kinds. You'll need a liquid and solid sugary bait as well as something for protein seeking ants. Mix 1 part borax with 3 parts bait.

• Bait #1: Briefly microwave ¾ cup of maple syrup and then stir ¼ cup of borax into the warm syrup.
  • Bait #2: Mix ¾ cup of powdered sugar with ¼ cup of borax.
  • Bait #3: Mix 3 parts peanut butter with 1 part borax.

Although it seems like ants are savages and they eat anything, they are actually quite picky. Larvae prefer solid foods. Adults can only process liquids. In order to get rid of the whole colony, it is important to have both forms.

Step 4: Give Yourself a Pat on the Back!

Getting rid of little black ants in your bathroom is not a fun job! Congratulations on achieving success naturally without putting you or your family in danger with toxic chemicals. If you found this article to be helpful, please do me a big favor and share it on your favorite social network. Your support allows me to continue doing what I love and providing awesome information like this to my readers. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below. I'd like to thank you once again for reading my tutorial on getting rid of ants. Good luck!

Be the First to Respond

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active