We hang flags to proclaim our patriotic spirit. This is especially true for retired veterans or those who have loved ones serving in the military. Others hang flags representing the seasons, important events, favorite teams or just a cute and whimsical design as decoration. An American flag can be particularly tricky to wash. Red, white and blue all lying together in one inseparable panel can cause the blue or red dye to bleed onto the white. This is not just a problem with an American flag; it is a problem with any countries' flag that has light and dark colors. Team flags and display flags also encounter this problem. When a flag becomes dingy and dirty it is time to wash it.
Step 1 Polyester / nylon / synthetics
Polyester, nylon or other synthetic fabrics are generally safe to wash in a machine. Set the washing machine on the gentle cycle with warm water. Add a mild liquid laundry detergent to the wash water.
You can also hand wash the flag with a mild liquid detergent made for delicate items. Hang the flag to dry on a breezy day, out of the sun. The water will intensify the sun and cause fading.
Step 2 Cotton / wool
Cotton and wool flags usually require professional cleaning by a dry cleaner to keep the colors from bleeding. Choose a dry cleaner if you do not have the washing instructions or if the flag has value to you just to be on the safe side.
If the flag is not of great value to you, you can attempt to wash it. Hand wash the flag in cold water with a mild liquid laundry detergent. Rinse it in cold water. Hang to dry or lay flat to dry.
- Take your flag inside during rain, snow or sleet to make it last longer.
- Consider having a sentimental flag professionally preserved and sealed in a display case to prevent damage from insects, environment or handling.
- Always check tags or packaging instructions for acceptable washing methods and water temperatures.
- Do not fly a flag on a very windy day. The wind is harsh and can roughen and split edges and seams, which leads to fraying.
- Always let the flag dry completely before storing it. A stored wet flag will rot, fall apart or grow mold and mildew.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades