Doing the laundry uses a lot of water and energy. Here's how to wash your clothes with a clean conscience. This video will show you how to conserve energy when doing laundry.
You Will Need
* 1 Eco-friendly laundry detergent
* 1 A laundry line
* 1 An energy-efficient washing machine
Step 1. Get a green machine
If your washer is more than 10 years old, consider replacing it with an energy-efficient one. Energy-efficient models use half the water and about 35% less energy per load.
Look for washing machines marked with the Energy Star logo.
Step 2. Buy eco-friendly detergent
Buy eco-friendly laundry detergent. You can even make your own—recipes are readily available online.
Step 3. Only wash full loads
Don't do laundry until you have a full load.
Step 4. Wash in cold water
Unless you're washing baby clothes, wash in cold water. Ninety percent of the energy used in washing clothes comes from heating the water.
At the very least, use cold water for the final rinse, which uses almost half the 50 gallons needed to do a load of wash.
Step 5. Line dry
Line dry as much of your laundry as often as possible.
Step 6. Clean the filter
When you do use the dryer, clean the lint filter every time so it runs efficiently.
Check clothes in the dryer often so you don't run it longer than you need to.
Step 7. Wash at off hours
In the summer, do laundry in the early morning or late at night, when energy demand is lowest.
FACT: The average American family does eight loads of laundry a week.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades