Are you searching for a homemade cat repellent solution? This article will cover natural indoor and outdoor deterrents for every scenario where cats are causing trouble. The first part will cover home remedies for training cats to stay away from furniture and other restricted areas inside your house. The second part will cover outdoor repellents for keeping cats away from your garden, plants and yard.
- Mix apple cider vinegar and water at a 1:1 ration. The vinegar can also be substituted for an essential oil such as citronella, lavender, peppermint or lemongrass (1 part oil to 3 parts water). Either one will make a fantastic cat repellent spray. Just spray it where your cat likes to hang out. It will neutralize the area and your pet will become disinterested in returning. Always test homemade recipes like this on a piece of fabric to make sure it does not stain furniture.
- You can also use aluminum foil or sandpaper to protect furniture, carpets and counter tops. These items provide an unpleasant surface to walk on. Double sided tape also works great as a cat repellent. They have a hard time tolerating the feel of these surfaces on their paws. This is an easy way to train them to stay away from certain areas of your home.
- Finally, cats don't like to get wet. You can't always be on patrol but if you catch your pet in a restricted area, just spray them with a water bottle. This is the simplest home remedy of all. If you continue to repeat this process, it will deter them from returning to the area. This is not a sure-fire way to repel them but it will help aid the training process.
- Prevention is the best first step. Try to eliminate the factors that are attracting cats in the first place. Get rid of the bird feeder, put a lid on the sandbox and keep tight fitting lids on the garbage cans.
- Since cats have superior smelling abilities, they are extremely sensitive to scent based cat repellents. As I mentioned above, you can make a really simple homemade remedy out of essential oils. I recommend using peppermint oil for repelling cats outdoors. Just mix 3 parts water to 1 part oil into a spray bottle and apply to necessary areas. You will need to reapply the solution as it wears down from the outside conditions.
- Adding string to the top of your fence is also a great cat deterrent. This will make it very uncomfortable for them to cross or walk along. If you have a wire fence, applying oil to the top will provide deterrence as well.
- Another method that works extremely well is tying a disposable aluminum pan to a stake in your yard. As the wind blows, this homemade cat repellent will provide soft noises that will make the intruders very uncomfortable.
- Finally, this is not necessarily a homemade remedy but it is the most effective outdoor deterrent available. When all else fails, a motion activated sprinkler will get the job done. When an animal walks into the path, it sets off a startling alarm and sends a quick spray of water at the intruder. These have proven to be the best repellent for cats, deer, skunk, raccoon and other wildlife. Again, it is not homemade but it is a safe and natural solution.
Using a homemade cat repellent means you know exactly which ingredients you are spreading around your home. It is safer for you, kids, pets and the environment. It will also save you a great deal of money. If you have any natural cat repellent recipes that you have had success with, please let me know in the comment section below. Thanks and good luck!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades