Need to replace your old door knob? Follow Milan Rosan as he takes you through a step-by-step, do-it-yourself approach to installing your own handle set in your home.
Step 1 Remove old door knob.
Properly remove screws.
Step 2 Remove latch and scratch plate.
Properly remove screws, then pull out.
Step 3 Mark a hole for the support bolt.
When you purchase your handle set, it will come with a template to use for marking the hole.
Step 4 Drill hole for support bolt.
Step 5 Install handle set.
- Install latch making sure the latch's slopped edge is pointed toward the way the door closes.
- Install handle set making sure to line up the hole at the bottom.
- Properly screw in the lever on the backside into the handle.
- Check to make sure your handling is correct. The lever should pull down and not up.
- If you need to switch the handling, you will need to remove the handle and switch the transfer bar. Then re-install the handle set.
Step 6 Check to make sure the handle and the lever work correctly.
Step 7 Install support bolt.
Attach cover to hide the screw.
Step 8 Install strike plate.
There is a rounded and a squared strike plate. Make sure to match with your old strike plate to assure alignment.
After that you should be ready to go.