Forum Thread: How to Keep Snakes Out of Your Yard

Many homeowners are searching for information about how to keep snakes out of their yard. If you have them near your home, it is usually a good sign your environment is thriving. Snake infestations are much more common in healthy ecosystems. However, no one enjoys living close to these frightening reptiles. Even though most species are harmless, homeowners want them out quickly and painlessly. That is why I am going to show you the best tips for keeping a snake out of a yard or garden.

Step 1: Keep Snakes Away with Prevention and Maintenance

The first important step in getting rid of snakes is to eliminate the things that are attracting them to your property. All living things are constantly seeking food, water and safety. You can make your yard a lot less appealing to critters if you can treat these conditions first. Use the following tips to complete phase one of this pest control process.

Tidy up your yard by pulling weeds, removing unwanted plants, debris, firewood and other ares they could use as shelter. Once you have these things cleaned up, it is important to maintain them on a regular basis. In addition to keeping snakes out of your yard, this will also help to control other infestations. You should also survey the foundation of your home to make sure there are no cracks or crevices that snakes could use to gain access inside. This could create an even bigger problem! In addition to sealing crevices, you should place screens over any vents coming out of your house. Finally, if you have a compost pile in your yard, try to keep it in an enclosed container. These things can be a breeding ground for insects and rodents.

Step 2: Keep Mice and Insects Away from Your Property

Phase 2 of this pest control plan will focus on getting rid of the food supply that is attracting them to your property. The previous steps will help but I also recommend that you treat your yard for mice, crickets and any other foods that are attracting predators. This is also important because if you are successful in keeping the snakes out of your yard, you don't want other problems to spiral out of control. You can achieve this by applying a natural repellent to your lawn.

Peppermint essential oil is a natural repellent that works great for getting rid of mice. It can be used inside and outside of your home. You can purchase a product that contains this natural ingredient or you can easily mix your own.

Step 3: Use a Repellent to Keep Snakes Out of Your Yard

The final phase of this solution is to use a natural snake repellent. It is important that you understand that a snake repellent will not be effective if you skip phase one and two. The only way to keep snakes out of your yard for good is through an integrated treatment plan. Each part is equally important.

I never recommend using dangerous chemical around your home. There are no chemicals strong enough to keep snakes out that won't also cause harmful side effects to humans, animals and the environment. Essential oils are much safer for getting rid of snakes then harsh chemicals. They are also just as effective if used properly. I have found a mixture of cedar, clove and cinnamon oil to be the most effective recipe. There are actually over the counter snake control products that contain these 3 oils as their active ingredients! I find the pre-made products to be easier to use. However, if you would like to mix your own, just follow these simple instructions:

Cedar, clove and cinnamon essential oil combination for keeping snakes out of your yard:

• Add 30ml of cedar oil with 5ml of clove oil, 5ml of cinnamon oil and 2 cups of water to a spray bottle (increase mixture proportionately as needed).

Step 4: How to Get Rid of a Snakes in a Garden

If you are having additional problems with keeping snakes out of your garden then you may want to try an alternative approach. I learned a nifty little trick from a reader a few years back. Just purchase a roll of mesh hardware cloth from Lowes or Home Depot. Use the cloth to enclose the entire garden. Dig a small trench for the bottom of your wall a few inches into the soil to avoid access from beneath. This may not be a practical solution if you have a very large yard to protect. However, it is a fantastic way to keep snakes away from a small garden.

Step 5: Conclusion

Most snakes are completely harmless so many times it is best to leave them alone. Bites usually only occur when people try to catch them. If you are unsure about the danger of a snake on your property, you can contact animal control for assistance.

Snakes do play an important role in the ecosystem. They provide a natural and effective form of rodent and insect control. However, they are still one of the most feared creatures around the world. Ultimately, it is your decision whether or not you want to get rid of a snake near your house. I personally don't mind them very much but I don't want them anywhere near my children or pets. I wish you the best of luck with your pest control problem. Thanks for reading my guide about how to keep snakes out of your yard. I'll see you next time!

1 Response

hello,

I read your post. I have a couple of questions. My property is pretty kept, except if the back where it's conservation. I am getting a huge amount of snakes and I'm terrified of them. Today I got one in the garage and now that's the last straw , they need to go! Haha

I need to know what the best thing for me to do is. I have an above ground pool in my yard and was thinking that is what is attracting them because one day I saw 4 go into the rocks around the pool. Then in the back yard around the conservation I have a bunch of holes of all different sizes so it might not just be snakes, or the holes could be old. Anything you could help with id appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jess

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active